Lunes, Marso 19, 2012

A First Love, now a Living

When I was in my sixth grade, I was tasked by a teacher to work for our school paper. From then on, I started to love writing about anything. I gained confidence to write despite an incident that happened. I was supposed to be sent for a press conference but was not chosen. I have no hurt feelings with that another teacher. Well in fact, I thank her for the act.

She instead sent an incapable one in my place, who was really not inclined with writing. Her main reason was that, I was reckless, rude and impolite. Yes, maybe at that time, I admit for being such. But she should not have done that. I knew I was really capable of the job that I must have done. She would have ruined a dream or might have made me upset and made me stop my love for writing. But I was positive and still continued to write.

When I was almost to end my stay in high school, I ended up with deep thoughts worrying on what course to take up in college. I was a History lover and I wanted to teach History. I was almost to take Bachelor of Arts in English for I know it was really my forte. I also had thoughts of taking a Music course.

My senior year in high school opened the opportunity for me to realize that I could write good outputs. I always had A+ and A- grades in my English Journals. I saw my potential with those journals written out of my creative juices. I was not really that good, I'll be honest and that made me decide to take a course in writing – to further hone my skill and know by heart the craft.

Last February 2006, I decided to take Mass Communication. After all, it was about current events and English was of great use, a major subject to be exact.

It was in June 2006, I finally tied the knot with my first love-writing by enrolling at the Silliman University College of Mass Communication. It was a course fit for a person who loves to write, and write and write. It simply means, one should not tire to write because from the time you enter the college until the day you'll make the graceful exit, writing is inevitable and an eternal part of the goings of a mass communication student.

From that course, I learned the theories yet was guided by the best people whom I call mentors. News, Features, Opinions, or any article maybe a mix of the kinds, and all about its intricacies, are what I have got from the formal study. Like any other course, I cannot escape the loads of materials for reference but one thing I loved with my teachers, they chose not the writers who are boring. But sometimes, so rare a time, the teacher would be sorry for giving an author who is boring. But she guarantees learning from it.

I may sound sacrilegious but let me name the style book as our bible, from which we writers base our entries. We turn to it as our guiding light so knowing the rules is a must be if you want to be read. I must say that I have known what was writing when I took up Mass Communication. After taking the degree, I knew I am still willing to learn any sort of writing as long as specific instruction of its nature will be provided.

Constant writing is helpful in improving the skill so as with reading at least one or two long articles a day, or maybe a chapter in a book, or a page or two in a broadsheet.

Love for writing has given me now an opportunity to grow and I could not expect that I now make a living out of it. I am superbly thankful to this skill I have acquired through the years. So glad that I was not discouraged after that grade school experience 'cause if I did, I would have not got a living now.

I thank God for the opportunity to grow the seed He has given me. Still, I will continue to cultivate the gift and I would only stop seeking improvement only when I am situated below the ground. Only when, I write 40.

What has been a hobby, a pastime, now becomes a living!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento